Monday, September 15, 2008

Food as Medicine

Food is one thing I cannot get out of my mind at all. It has always been as central an issue to my life as it is to most of you. Not only do I thrive on food, like all the living beings, but my profession does not allow me to look elsewhere either :)

Being an Indian, food even plays a bigger role in my life, as traditionally, we Indians regard food to be a central part of our culture. The way in which we prepare and cook our food is very very unique and I must say it is one of the interesting feathers in the "Cap of World Cuisine".

We have known about the medicinal properties of a variety of spices and condiments and herbs that we have been using very successfully and regularly in our kitchens for ages. There can be a lot of times when we can just turn to our kitchens to fix-up simple home remedies that can relieve us of common ailments.


I can remember many occasions in my childhood when my grandmother used to come up with simple but very effective home remedies for problems like colds and cough and colic and indigestion and diarrhoea and acidity............ The list is long, but i have seen these home remedies do wonders.

The best part is that these time-tested home remedies have been passed on from one generation to another.

Another very important part of our Culture is "Ayurveda", one of the most ancient systems of Medicine in India and it also considers DIET to be an important part of the treatment. Sometimes, a dietary prescription in itself is a complete treatment.

Indian Culture has appreciated and acknowledged the importance and use of food as nourishment as well as like medicines.I bow down to the wisdom of our ancient medicos who have provided us with the wonderful treasure of home remedies.

This is just an humble exploration into the world of "using Food as Medicine"






3 comments:

preeti said...

nice one..must say dat its d best way to share on our subject of interest..

Unknown said...

Thanks Shraddha for such a nice tip on the uses of garlic as I have recovered really fast usng ur tip to drive away my sorethroat and chocked nose with the help of Garlic.

Dr. Amol Javdekar said...

Shraddha , as an expert on nutrition please enlighten me on the scientific usage of vitamins and what constitutes watseful usage possibly leading to hypervitaminosis...